Mexican officials denied the bloodshed in Tamaulipas’s northern region. They sent about 700 military personnel and national guards to the area a few hours later.
According to Breitbart Texas, competing Gulf Cartel sections from the border towns of Matamoros along with Reynosa engaged in war last week, sending massive convoys of gunmen including dozens of armored SUVs. The violence was exacerbated by a change of alignment, with the San Fernando Old School Zetas abandoning the Matamoros group in favor of the Reynosa or Metros faction. Despite the presence of multiple armored vehicles with the cartel’s initials painted on the side, Tamaulipas government authorities have denied the entrance of Cartel Jalisco New Generation (CJNG) gunmen. After a series of gun battles, authorities were able to reclaim the vehicles.
On Tuesday, Gulf Cartel gunmen halted Matamoros by carjacking cars and buses and placing them sideways, paralyzing the city. During the blockades, gunmen ordered students out of school buses, causing widespread panic. Three of the children had initially been reported missing amid the early-morning blockades; however, school administrators subsequently verified to Breitbart Texas that the pupils were safe in their homes with their parents.
Despite the widespread violence, Mexico’s Secretary of Defense (Army), Luis Crescencio Sandoval, said that no blockades or shootouts had occurred in Matamoros. He went on to say that officials will attempt to resolve the problem.
Tamaulipas authorities maintained that the state was secure and claimed that the information concerning shootouts was being spread by political rivals in order to harm their image.
Locals in San Fernando, some 50 miles south of Matamoros, have also faced multiple blockades and massive-scale shootouts. Several social media videos depicted the aftermath of the altercation.
Hundreds of Mexican military came into Matamoros as well as San Fernando on Tuesday evening, despite the fact that authorities said the state was in peace.